FREE Depression mini-course
Towards an accurate understanding of depression
Welcome to the Dr. Terry Lynch Mental Health Academy!
"Depression" is one of the most commonly used words in mental health. Every month, over a million searches for depression are entered in Google. The experts say that more than 1 in 10 people suffer from depression.
But, what exactly is depression?
Regrettably, there is much misinformation about depression in the public arena. Much of what people assume to be true about depression is either wrong or distorted information.
In this free depression mini-course, I set out to correct some aspects of this situation, by providing detailed information regarding what is commonly called "depression".
In this course, you will learn
* The truth about brain chemical imbalances and depression.
* The true meaning and value of the term "clinical depression".* The generally underestimated link between trauma and depression.
I have sought to utilise my considerable breadth of knowledge and experience to create this course. My knowledge and experience arises from:
* Personal experiences of distress, loss and trauma in my life, particularly in my early life;
* Over 30 years as a physician, fully registered with the Irish Medical Council;
* 14 years as a psychotherapist, fully accredited with the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP);
* 14 years as the provider of one of Ireland's few truly recovery-oriented mental health services;
* 9 years of service on national government-appointed mental health groups, including the Expert Group on Mental Health Policy which formulated Ireland's official mental health policy document, A Vision for Change;
* The author of 3 mental health books to date, the first of which (Beyond Prozac) reached no. 3 in Ireland's non-fiction best sellers list, and was shortlisted for the UK Mind 2002 Book of the Year Award;
* An unwavering determination to do whatever I can to improve the general understanding of emotional and mental health issues, including the psychiatric diagnoses, so that better outcomes become more frequently attainable.
Course price: There is no charge for this course.
Contact with me: You can be in contact with me as often as you like in relation to this course, for example, through the comments section within each presentation or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terry's own life experiences and his life as a mental health activist, medical doctor, psychotherapist and mental health author have brought him to a level of understanding of mental health that is unusual if not indeed exceptional.
Terry Lynch has played a prominent role in mental health both nationally and internationally. For a nine-year period, he was appointed by the Irish Department of Health and Children to key national mental health groups - The Expert Group on Mental health Policy (2003-6) which formulated A Vision for Change, Ireland’s official mental health policy document; The Independent Monitoring Group for A Vision for Change (2006-9); the Second Monitoring Group for A Vision for Change (2009-12).
Terry Lynch was the only mental health professional to be appointed to the three Groups named above. In addition, he was also appointed by the CEO of the Irish Health Service Executive (HSE) to the Irish Health Service Executive's Mental Health Expert Advisory Group (2006-8).
Terry is the author of 4 books: Prescribed Drug Dependence (Kindle, 2018); Depression Delusion Volume One: The Myth of the Brain Chemical Imbalance (2015); Selfhood: A Key to the Recovery of Emotional Wellbeing, Mental Health and the Prevention of Mental Health Problems, (2011); and best-seller Beyond Prozac: Healing Mental Distress (2004).
He has appeared regularly in the national media in Ireland and beyond.